Saturday, February 21, 2015

"The Roomate"

I had to write a little story for English, so I quickly (took me two and a half days) came up with one. Here goes:

                                             “The Roommate”

                                           by Katelyn Hammett

Sisilla Henkel walked down the staircase in an air of humility and grace. She knew her beauty was radiant, but never gave it much thought. She smiled at the servants as she passed, stopping to compliment each in some way.

    "Sisilla, dear, come in here!" Her mother's voice rang out from the waiting room. Sisilla smiled to herself. Ever since she turned fifteen her mother had been trying to get her out. Not permanently. Just for a little while, so she would be able to understand what it was like to not have someone be there for her all the time. Today would be different, though, she could tell, because of her mother's tone of voice. She sounded.... buoyant.

    "Yes, mother?" Turning the corner, she saw her father, her grandmother, her mother, and, of course, her little brother, Herbert.

    Her surprise must have registered on her face, for her mother smiled in joy, and said, "My darling Sisilla, I found a place for you! A finishing school in Boston!"

    "Boston! Mama! That's so far away!" Sisilla looked pleadingly at her parents, her heart squeezing and her stomach tightening. What if something would happen? What if she couldn't come back if an emergency happened? What if?....

    "Sisilla, please get a hold of yourself!" Her father's stern voice made her tear up.

    "But, Papa!" Her voice caught in her throat. She would miss them! And for all her grace, her etiquette was very bad indeed. "Please, Papa, isn't there a school closer to home other than Boston?"

    "Young lady," her Grandmother said, "This is where my mother, your mother, and I have all gone. We have quite a reputation there, you know. If you go, you will carry on the tradition. And you will also be able to use your faith in the Lord while you are there. This is not a simple task that you can do in your own strength, Sisilla. You must depend on the Lord."

    As her grandmother finished her speech, she stood up. "I expect you will be leaving at the appointed time tonight," she said, then gracefully glided out of the room, leaving her granddaughter there to look in disbelief.

    "Tonight? I'm leaving tonight? Must I? I need to pack!" Mrs. Henkel looked at her daughter with all the love in her heart shining through her eyes.

    "Sweetheart, I know you'll be just fine! And guess what? Over vacations you can come home. George!" She called in the butler, asking him if he would please go get the calendar. As soon as he returned, the lady took it from his hands and thanked him. "Now let's see... hmm... oh, wrong month.... Oh! Here we go! Took me a little while, but I found it." She smiled with warmth and glee. "In three weeks you will be home for the weekend."

    A tear slid down Sicillia's face. "I'll miss you all."                                 

"Oh, Sisilla, we'll miss you too. Of course, they'll miss you at the school when you come home. You are of a long line of honorable ladies. And were they all alive still, you would be the apple of their eye."

    Sisilla smiled. Her mother knew how to make anyone feel better. "Well, I better go pack. This is going to be an adventure -- just Jesus and me." Her mother and her both giggled at the old phrase Sisilla used to use when she was little.

    Sisilla made her way out of the room and up the steep staircase to her room. She called out to Caleb, the servant that was assistant to the butler.

    "Please get me two trunks, Caleb. One for dresses and one for other articles. I must be ready to leave by tonight."

    "Yes, ma'am."

    "Oh, and Caleb, if you see Daisy, please ask her to come to my rooms. I  could use the help."

      "Yes, ma'am."

      "Thank you, Caleb."

    She continued up the stairs until she got to her room. She stood staring at the room, trying to memorize every nook and cranny. She knew she would be back soon, but she still felt like she was leaving forever.

    "Lord, I need your help. I'm scared of going, and I don't want to leave my home or my family. I shall miss them all terribly, and I know I shall miss my morning lessons with Miss Crawford. Lord, I need your strength. I need your support and I need your joy to fill my soul. Please, Lord." Her whispered prayer gave way to an overwhelming realization: her Lord would be with her all the way. No matter what happens, God is always with her. No matter where she goes, He is there. She smiled.         Yes, she thought, this is moving much too fast for me. But my parents know best, and I know my God will guide my paths. She suddenly had this feeling of confidence. She strode into her room, immediately laying out clothes on the bed to begin packing.

  Hearing a knock on the door, she turned around. "Oh, Daisy, come in! As you probably already heard, I must leave to go into finishing school tonight. So if you please, I could really use your help."

  "Certainly, ma'am."

••••••••••••

She had said goodbye to her family, and was now sitting in the carriage that would take her to Boston, Massachusetts. She said her farewells to the state of Maine as it flew quickly by her.

    She smiled slightly as she saw some children playing in the falling snow. Her mother had told her that at the school, because of how rich it was, she would have a personal maid-in-training and butler-in-training. This is going to be weird, Sisilla thought. I’ve never had a personal maid or a personal butler. Having two people wait on her hand and foot would be interesting. She refused to think of it as tiresome or nice until she had time to get used to it. She found that once she left home, she couldn’t wait to get there. Lord, thank you for making this exhilarating. Help me to do well, and to honor You and my parents in all I do. Amen.

••••••••••••

    After four hours of travel and two stops, they finally arrived at the school. But it looks like a prison! came her frantic thoughts. The towering stone walls were gray and foreboding. The windows were small, some with pretty lace curtains, some without. There were huge stone steps leading up to massive wooden doors. The hinges, she noticed, were made of strong black metal. There were beautiful railings leading down the steps, curving outwards in the most beautiful fashion. Her carriage door was opened by the footman, his hand reaching out to take her gloved one. She gracefully descended to the ground, landing lightly. Her trunks were put on the ground gently behind her, and immediately the carriage pulled away, leaving a cloud of dust as a backdrop for her petite frame. She walked up to the doors with a fear she couldn’t explain. She took a deep breath and began the motion of knocking. Before her hand touched the door, she pulled away. What is my problem? Lord, help me to be strong! With more courage, she pushed her hand all the way forward to rap her knuckles on the weathered oak. The door was pulled slightly open by an older gentleman.

    “What is your business here, young lady? How may we be of help?” His clean-shaven face smiled with ease.

    “Sir, I am Sisilla Henkel, and I have come from Morse-Libby Mansion in Portland, Main. I was to arrive today,” Her words spilled out. She looked up at him with large brown eyes.

    “Yes, miss. We have been expecting you. Please, come in.” He opened the door all the way for her. She stepped inside, shivering from the cold. He helped her get her heavy cloak off, then helped her put on her shawl. She smiled at him.

    “Thank you, sir. You have been most helpful.”

    “It is my duty, miss. You need not thank me.” He directed her to a large, cushioned chair, and she quickly settled into it. Sisilla looked on the clock on the fireplace mantle. 10:00? Wow. It’s getting late. I hope I can go to bed early.

    “Sisilla Henkel. Please stand up.” Sisilla looked up to see a woman with dressed in a schoolmarm dress with a tight bun formed at the nape of her neck. Her stern face seemed to match perfectly with the exterior of the school.

    “Yes, ma’am.” Sisilla stood up immediately, giving a perfect curtsy to the woman.

    “You learned something at the mansion of yours. Good. Your mother was an extraordinary student. I expect you be the same.” She looked into Sisilla’s eyes with cold, hard, icy blue ones, leaving Sisilla with a feeling of fear and dread. “My name is Mrs. Whitcomb. If you cause trouble, you will get demerits. If you get too many demerits, you will be put into the attic room of the West Wing of the school, where absolutely no one lives. You will have no contact with other people other than me and another teacher. Have I made myself clear?” Sisilla felt as though her face must have been extremely drawn, for when she nodded, she felt as if it hardly moved at all.

    Mrs. Whitcomb seemed pleased, and smiled slightly before turning around. “John Darcy, get in here!” The young man, whose name was apparently John, quickly walked into the room. “In this school, we teach those who are not as fortunate as you to do tasks that a lady will never do. You will have a maid, Annabele, and a personal butler, John. They each have a head mister and mistress as well, so if they give you any trouble, you report it.” She looked at Sisilla, who, again, nodded, and barely managed to say, “Yes, ma’am.”

    “Good. That’s settled then. Here is your schedule,” and handed Sisilla two large pieces of paper, “and you will be starting in two days, on Monday. Tomorrow there is church, so we do not do school. Of course, coming from your family, you should know this already.”

    “John, take her to her room. Her luggage has been brought in by the stable boy, so be sure to get them to her immediately.” John motioned to her, and Sisilla followed him out.

    “Your room is on the second floor, and you will be rooming with an awful girl named Adeth Alvintzi.”

    “I do not mean to correct you, seeing as we have only just met, but please do not call someone awful! I am truly appalled.” A slight frown formed on Sisilla’s face, but she could not help it. How can anyone be so mean? I haven’t even met her! He probably doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

    “You needn’t frown like that. I’m being honest. I was a butler for her once, and when she tripped, she had me blamed for trying to kill her. I have a right to dislike her, you know.”

    “John, are you saved?” Sisilla wasn’t sure how he would respond, and asked the question with hesitancy.

    “Why?”

    “I was just curious.”

    “Yes, I am. Are you a Christian, too?”

    “Yes, I am. But, if I may be so bold, if you are saved, should you not also forgive others as He has forgiven you?”

    John walked a little in silence. Sisilla knew she should give him time to think it over, so she held her tongue. After a while, he said softly, “Miss Sisilla, you are right. Thank you.”

    She smiled. She had no idea where her boldness to speak those words came from, but she was glad she did. Within minutes, he stopped her in front of a room at the end of the hall. “This is yours.” Then, he knocked lightly on the door.

    “Come in!” Called a high, sticky-sweet voice. John opened the door, and Sisilla saw a lovely little sitting room with a bookcase and two writing desks made of walnut wood. She looked at the black and white paisley styled rug that covered the whole of the floor. There was a fireplace on the left wall, with a fainting couch to the right of the pit. Big, fluffy chairs were in several corners, and there were some lovely upholstered chairs for extra company along the back wall.

    “It’s so pretty. I never expected for a school to have this nice of a room.” She continued to stare. The walls were painted in a pretty pink blush color. She breathed deeply of the smell of the books on the small bookcase standing against the right wall.

    “John, go get her things. And tell her maid to get in here. It’s much too late for her to be up after traveling.” Her tone of voice told Sisilla that she definitely thought she was better than John, and that John was more of a slave than a paid servant.

    “Your room is through the door. There is a tiny hallway. Your room is the door on the left. Mine is on the right. Make yourself at home.” Turning away with an air of pride, Adeth laid back down on the couch to resume her book.

    “Thank you, Adeth,” Sisilla said sweetly. Taking a deep breath, she prayed a quick prayer. Lord, I know you want me to be kind, but already she is on my nerves. Her voice is annoying, and her pride makes me want to give what for. Help me, Lord!

    She found the walls in the hallway to be a pleasant green color, the trim  done in a pure white. The floor was made of wood, and her shoes tapped gently against it. She turned to the left, opened the door, and smiled in delight at her room. The walls were the same calming green, with a plush cream-colored carpet and white trim. There was a window door on the left wall, with two floor-length lace curtains and a stone balcony outside. She shivered a little as a small draft came in, but quickly warmed up. If it got too cold to sleep in here, she could very well sleep on the fainting couch. She turned to gaze at her bed, stately and elegant, in the middle of the room. Pellucid fabric hung loose from the top of the canopy bed, falling to the floor. This will help keep out the cold from my bed, thought Sisilla. The nightstand in the corner was a pristine white, the drawer handles made from glass. There was a dresser in the corner, between the window doors and the door leading to the hallway, with a pretty mirror attached to the wall directly above.

    “Miss Sisilla, I am here to bring in your trunks,” said a voice behind her. She heard Adeth’s high-pitched giggle and tried to hold her tongue.

    “I am so sorry, John! Please, bring them in. Just place them at the foot of the bed.” John did so, and Sisilla smiled. She couldn’t wait to move in. “John, is Anabele coming? I shall need help getting everything in order.”

    “Yes, ma’am. She’ll be right along.” Plodding away, he hardened his jaw at Adeth.

    “John, walk, don’t stomp. You’re a butler, not a child.” Adeth’s voice whined.

    “Yes, ma’am.” And with that, the door closed.

    “Adeth, must you be so hard?”
    “The butlers at my home know how to do things properly. They should as well. I do not know what the problem is with the boys here. It isn’t play time. They are here to work and to learn. They are so dumb sometimes…” Adeth continued to drone on about how “terrible they are” and how “she wished her butlers and servants were here” and so on.

    The door opened sometime later, Adeth still talking, and Sisilla getting dresses and jewelry and other things out of her trunks and laying them on the bed and dresser.

    “I am so sorry, Miss! Please forgive me! I did not mean to be so late!” A girl, looking about sixteen years old, opened the door and immediately began pleading and curtsying. “My name is Anabele, Miss, and I am to be your maid-in-training. Please forgive me!”

    Sisilla smiled at her. “Of course, Anabele! Please come in! There is nothing to worry about. Miss Adeth here was just keeping me company. I’m glad I finally got to meet you.” The girl stared in wonder at Sisilla, looking like she was caught between being scared and relieved.

    “Ugh. Well, as you continue being nice to a servant that needs to be punished, I will be in my room getting ready for bed.” Spinning on her heel and flipping her pretty curls over her shoulder, Adeth sauntered out of the room.

    Sisilla sighed. “Do you know her, Anabele?”

    “Yes, miss. I know her.”

    “Did you work for her?”

    Anabele looked at her with large hazel eyes. Despite her obvious efforts, a tear slid down her cheek. “My sister did, miss.”

    Sisilla’s heart went out to the girl. Lord, she prayed, please help this poor girl. I know she is older than I, but she obviously isn’t as well off as I am. Help me to be a friend to her. Help me to have wisdom, and to know what to say and do when, as well as how. Help, Lord. I depend on You.

    The rest of the unpacking was done in silence.

••••••••••••

    The next morning, Sisilla awoke to someone in her room. She sat up, forgetting where she was for the moment. She called out to the person, hoping to scare them off.

    “Who are you? What are you doing in my room?” Her voice sounded weak to herself, and knew her fear was clearly portrayed -- not at all what she wanted to do.

    “Oh, I am sorry, miss! You forgot to open the vents… I wanted to let heat into the room before you awoke. You must be ready for Sunday services in by nine o’clock, miss.”

    “What time is it?”
    “Seven, miss.”

    “Oh, my. I need to get my Sunday clothes picked out yet.”

    “No need, miss. I already did.” Sisilla could see the smile on Anabele’s face and smiled back.

    “Thank you! And, please, do not call me ‘miss’ anymore. I do not enjoy it… I feel… stingy.” Sisilla giggled and Anabele smiled a little bigger.

    “Yes, miss. I mean -- uh, um… What do you want me to call you? I must call you something.”

    “Miss in public, Sisilla in private. We shall be friends, I think. You are quite sweet, Anabele.”

    “Thank you… Sisilla.” Sisilla smiled at her and leapt out of bed.

    “Alright, Anabele, let’s get me ready for services.”

••••••••••••

    Anabele sent for John to escort her to the awaiting carriage that would take Sisilla, Adeth, Anabele, and Adeth’s maid, Pamela, to church.

    “Miss Sisilla, I have been thinking about what you said last night. Forgive me for being uncivil towards your roommate. I knew what the Lord wanted me to do. He wanted me to forgive her for her selfishness and undermining ways, but I did not. You have proved to me that He will make His will more clear than a glass of water. Thank you, miss.” His eyes were somber, his face laden with sincerity.

    Adeth could only smile and tell him how thankful she was that he was making things right with God. Lord, I do not know why You chose to use me, but, I thank You. Your mercy truly is everlasting, and I thank You for Your peace in this strange place. You truly are the One True God.

    Upon reaching the carriage, John helped her up into the cab where Adeth and Pamela already perched. Pamela’s face was a beautiful oval, her eyes the perfect almond shape. What took away from her beauty, though, was the hardness that engulfed it. Her perfectly pink lips were in a hardened line, her green eyes drifting from the top of Sisilla’s hat to the little toe of shoe poking out from under her dress. It was obvious she did not approve of neither her nor Anabele.

    “It is a lovely Lord’s Day, is it not?” Declared Sisilla, trying to break the ice.

    “Hm. I’d rather throw a ball.” Adeth’s sarcastic diction rang through the bouncing cab, putting an end to any conversation.

    Sisilla opened her mouth to reply, but Anabele put her hand out a little to quiet her. Looking over at Anabele, Sisilla’s brows furrowed. With a huff, Sisilla stared out the window at the houses racing past. This was not what she expected.

••••••••••••

    Lunch at the school came and went, with Sisilla eating only what was on her plate. Ever since Adeth’s remark that morning, she couldn’t quite get over the feeling of being sick. How can anyone say that and be ok with it? It is the Lord’s Day. You can’t have a ball on the Lord’s Day! She had nearly missed the cue for standing up and pushing in her chair to leave the room with her thoughts in a whirlwind as they were.

    “Hey, Sisilla, we’re going to go practice our waltz. Would you like to join us?” A kind young lady, obviously a student, asked the question.

    Sisilla smiled sweetly. “Thank you, but no. I do not waltz on the Lord’s Day.”

    “Miss Goody Too-Shoos won’t come with us? What a shame her piousness gets in the way. She’s probably judging the rest of us for doing it. Aren’t you, Angel.” Adeth knew this would get Sisilla upset. She was good like that. She knew after a few short minutes what would bother people the most.

    “I am not judging anyone. This is my own personal--” Sisilla set her jaw as Adeth interrupted her.

    “Mhm. Ok.” Turning a little towards her friends with a hint of a smile on her face, she continued, “You won’t believe what she allowed her servant to do on the way to services. She allowed her to rebuke her. She thinks that she’s so good that --”

    “Adeth Alvintzi, I am not. You think that you are better than everyone else, and that is why you so ardently try to uncover something wrong in everyone else’s lives so that you yourself look good. You are a terrible person. I don’t understand how you have friends.” Sisilla was vaguely aware that she was getting louder. She didn’t understand what had overcome her. She never yelled at anyone. Yet here she was, rendering evil for evil. Sisilla set her jaw, tears pricking the back of her eyes, and rushed from the room as quickly as etiquette would allow.

    Her face began to contort as the phrase ‘A little bit of truth in everything’ came to mind. Am I too good? Do I pretend that I am perfect? Am I too pious? Do I judge others? How can I call myself a Christian and act like I just did? I can’t believe this. I am a fool!

    These painful thoughts raced through her head. Was she wrong? She did not know what to think. She whispered a verse to herself, “Proverbs 26:4 ‘Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.’” She entered her room and crumbled on her bed, sobbing. “Am I fool, God? I answered her! Does this mean I am also a fool?”

••••••••••••

    Sometime later, Anabele came in to help Sisilla get ready for dinner… and to deliver the bad news.

    “Sisilla?” Anabele saw her body laying on the bed, still in the collapsed position Sisilla had thrown herself. Sisilla was sleeping softly, her eyes and nose still puffy, and dry tear trails running down her face. Anabele felt awful for the pain Sisilla endured. She knew what it was like being hurt by Adeth. “Sisilla, you must wake up. We must make you presentable.”

    Sisilla groaned and opened her eyes. “I am not going to dinner. I am not hungry.”

    “But, but you have to. Well, you do not have to go to the dining room for dinner, but you must go to the little room off of the dining room. You must eat alone with Adeth. You must try to make amends, otherwise they’ll send you to the attic room, and,” here Anabele ran out of breathe, stopping and looking at Sisilla.

    “I have to eat alone with her?”

    Anabele looked at her in surprise. “But they are being more than gracious to you! They could send you to the attic room immediately!”

    Lord, again I need your help… I don’t know what happened back there, but I need you to help me make amends for my insolence. Thank you, Lord.

    “Alright. Let’s get me ready.” Sisilla wasn’t exactly happy, but she knew at least what God wanted her to do. She did her hair up in loose curls, strategically placed upon her head. Her dress was one of her plainer ones, satin chocolate brown with a high collar and covered buttons from the top of the collar to the waist.. Jewelry was not shiny or much. She wore only a gold locket and tiny diamond tear-drop earrings.  She put on her brown dining slippers and stood for Anabele’s perusal.

    “Well?” Sisilla asked. “What do you think?”

    “You look charming,” cried Anabele.

    “Thank you.” Sisilla voiced. She did not know what to feel. She felt jittery and confident at the same time. “May we pray?”

Anabele smiled. “Certainly.”

    “Lord,” she began with eyes closed tight, “Please help me to do right. Help me to ask forgiveness in sincerity, and help her to accept my apology. I’m a little bit scared right now, and I don’t know if I will be able to go through with it if I do not have your help. Amen.”

    Anabele was surprised at her simple honesty. “Amen,” she whispered. Sisilla looked at her with wet eyes and a small smile.

    “God will help me. I know He will.” And with that Sisilla walked out of the room and down to the little room off of the dining room.

••••••••••••

    Mrs. Whitcomb was waiting for her; her eyes seemed to burn holes into Sisilla’s. Sisilla found she had to look away.

    “You will wait here, Miss Henkel, for Miss Alvintzi to arrive. If you move from your position behind the chair before Miss Alvintzi arrives, you will punished. If you refuse to make things right between the yourself and Miss Alvintzi, you will be punished. You have only just arrived yesterday, but I still expect you to follow the rules. From now on it will not be a simple slap on the hand, but the full punishment. Do you understand me, young lady?”

    “Yes, ma’am,” Sisilla uttered.

    “Look at me when you speak,” screeched Mrs. Whitcomb.

    Sisilla at her face in sorrow and, her voice barely audible, said, “Yes, ma’am.”

    “Good. She should arrive shortly. Over dinner you must fix things. Enjoy,” she bellowed, twirling around and stalked out the door.

    Sisilla looked around as she waited. The table was set for two, with simple crystal glasses at each setting. The plates were simple china, not at all like the ones they used in the dining room. The napkins and silverware were placed in order, the napkin the color of silver. The room was lit nicely by gas lamps on the walls. There was no furniture other than the table. The carpet and walls were all white. Having thus seen everything, she focused on her glass. She became more and more nervous as she wondered if she would be forced to stand there all night.

    Finally, footsteps came outside the door. Mrs. Whitcomb opened it to a radiant Adeth. Adeth wore a beautiful burgundy silk dress, with a gaudy necklace and gold and pearl earrings. Her wrists jingled with bangles; each of her fingers wore a pretty ring. Her makeup was done beautifully, her hair equally matched.

“You two will be left alone. Repair the damage, or you will be punished.”

Wow, she really like the word ‘punished’ a lot. Sitting down, they waited for the servers to bring in the food.

“Adeth,” Sisilla began. Adeth looked at her, eyes ablaze.

“I do not forgive you.” Her voice was colder than ice and harder than rock.

Sisilla swallowed. “You don’t have to. I just want to say that I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have burst out like that, and I was wrong. I should have held my tongue, and I didn’t. I should not have put a mark on your reputation like that.”

“You’re right. You shouldn’t have. You are a no good, pious girl who thinks of no one but yourself. You ought to be ashamed. I will not forgive you, understand? I refuse to forgive you.” Adeth had made it quite clear. Forgiveness was not to be had, and Sisilla was to be punished. It had also been made clear that speaking would not be a good idea, so Sisilla closed her mouth and waited for food to be brought it.

••••••••••••

Sisilla had been called down to the office of Mrs. Whitcomb sometime around seven o’clock in the evening. She slowly made her way down, fear gnawing at her stomach.

As she crept closer, she heard voices.

“She tried to make things right. You cannot punish her.” She could not place this voice, although she knew it was male.

“But she did not do what I told her to.” This one definitely belonged to Mrs. Whitcomb.

“Will you punish Adeth, then?” The man countered.

“Punish --? Goodness, no! The child did not raise her voice.”
    “But you are willing to punish the one that tried to bridge the wrongs. I am disappointed.” His voice glowed in anger.

“Fine. I will make her pronounced judgment a lesser one. Satisfied?”

“How much will you lessen it?” The man sounded somewhat appeased.

“She is not allowed out of the school with the rest of the girls.”

“Fine.”

Footsteps sounded in the room, and Sisilla startled back, pretending to have only just come. She looked up at the man coming out of the room and saw the Chief Butler that had opened the door for her when she came.

“Go in, Miss.” And with that, he bowed his head and went speedily on his way.

“Mrs. Whitcomb?” Sisilla’s voice trembled slightly. Lord, I seem to keep getting myself in trouble. I miss my family and home and servants, Lord! Help me to not disgrace my family anymore and to make it through these three weeks.

“Sit down.” Sisilla did as she was commanded, not even bothering to look at the rest of the room. “The rest of the girls are going out to town tomorrow. Both you and Miss Alvintzi will remain here. If you leave the school building and dorm, you will be sent to the attic room. Understood?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Marvelous. Leave and send down Miss Alvintzi.” Mrs. Whitcomb said these last remarks with utmost sarcasm.

“Yes, ma’am.” Sisilla started the trek back to her room, wondering how Adeth would respond to being summoned by Mrs. Whitcomb… if she would blame the summons on her.

••••••••••••

Rapping lightly on Adeth’s door she said quietly, “Mrs. Whitcomb would like to see you in her office, Adeth.”

“Fine!” Adeth shouted.

Adeth’s outburst startled Sisilla. She did not think she would still be burning with this much indignation. She went into her room, preparing to have the day to herself tomorrow, with the exception of morning etiquette classes. She looked at her schedule and sighed. Etiquette classes began at eight and ended at nine thirty in the morning. A whole entire day alone with Adeth will be most exciting, she introspected sarcastically.

Putting the list down, she began preparing for bed, pulling out her hairpins slowly. Finally, she was ready for bed. She fell into an exhausted slumber, wishing she would never wake up.

••••••••••••

Etiquette classes were finally over, and Sisilla rapidly went back to her room. She pulled off her dancing slippers and put on her casual ones. Walking over to her bed, she pulled out one of her chests from under the bed.

“I hope I brought you,” she muttered. Rummaging through the books and papers in it, she finally pulled out one of her favorite books. “The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.” She read it many times before, but for some reason, she still liked it. She went out to the fainting couch to read, as Adeth burst into the room.

“Sisilla, I am sorry about refusing your apology. Forgive me. You said the truth about me.”

Sisilla sat for a second, trying to take it in. “Of course I forgive you! May we be friends?” She looked longingly for the wrongs to be made right.

“Certainly! Come with me. Everyone is gone. The cooks have been allowed to go shopping, and the servants are all allowed some time to themselves. We’ll go into the courtyard and enjoy the sunshine. The girls all said it was quite warm out.”

Sisilla was a little puzzled. “But Mrs. Whitcomb said we could leave the building.”

“She just means that we can’t leave the property. Come on! It will be fun!”

“Well, if you’re sure,” Sisilla replied hesitantly.

“Of course I’m sure. Now come on!”

They put on their cloaks and headed outside.

••••••••••••

They had sat there for a couple of hours chatting a little, each reading their own books, commenting on something that was interesting or surprising. Sisilla did not hear the sound of carriages in the distance, neither did she hear the snorting and plodding of horses. Her book was much too interesting.

“Miss Henkel and Miss Alvintzi, I will see you in my office immediately.” The shrill voice of Mrs. Whitcomb pierced the air, startling Sisilla. Am I in trouble again? She thought. Surely not. Adeth was clear that it was alright to be out here.

Standing up, the two girls hurried into the office.

“Yes, ma’am,” the two girls cried in unison.

“You were explicitly told that you were not allowed outside the school building. But I come back to find you both disobeying orders. What must you say for yourself?” She demanded.

“Ma’am,” Adeth spoke up, “I did not know we were not allowed outside. Sisilla assured me that we were allowed. I am very sorry, ma’am. If I had only known…” Her voice trailed off.

Sisilla stood with her mouth agape. I told her that it was alright? I did? This is preposterous!

“Ma’am, I did --”

“Excuse me, but did I say you could speak? No. I did not. You both are exiled to the attic room to settle your differences. Get your maids to help you move.” Neither of them moved. “Be gone!” the woman cried.

The hurried out of the room, Adeth shooting her killer glares, and Sisilla wondering what would happen.

••••••••••••

The attic room was a small room where there were two beds, each on opposite sides of the room. There was no color, other than the gray, dingy walls. There was no window, and a only two lamps for light. The maids were then relieved, for the girls could not have their help while there. The floor was cold wood.

“I can’t believe you made us come here! It’s so cold, and there are probably spiders! And how am I supposed to get ready for events if my maid isn’t here to help me? I’ll never be able to pin up hair right. And the dust! I understand why it’s called the ‘attic room’ now. This is despicable. Look at me! I’m already a mess! And…” Sisilla allowed her to drone on and on about how it was “all her fault” and how “terrible and disgusting the room was.”

Lord, I am sorry. Help me to hold my tongue. It will certainly be hard here. Help me to be a light, even though I have done a miserable job already.

“Do you have enough blankets on your bed?” Sisilla asked, interrupting Adeth’s spree.

“No,” Adeth pouted.

“Here, have one of mine.” The look of shock on Adeth’s face made Sisilla smile more than it should have. “I’ll be fine. Besides, I’m from Maine, not Rhode Island. I’m more used to the cold than you are.”

Adeth gazed at her. “Thank you.”

“Sure. I’m glad to help. I really am sorry about us getting suspended from today.” Sisilla began to unfold the changing curtain. “I’ll get in my pajamas first, then you can.”

Adeth just nodded.

As soon as Sisilla was done, she picked up her clothes and put them in her hamper. She kneeled before her bed, bowing her long neck in prayer. Lord, I know that I have done a good job disgracing You and my family with my behaviour, but if You would help me, I would like to try again. Help me to hold my tongue, allow me to harness my temper. I want to do Your will. Teach me to follow You. Help me know what to say and how to act. Help me be a better witness to Adeth. She obviously needs to know You. Give me grace, and help me learn. Help her to see the truth. Amen.

“Do you pray every night?” Adeth questioned.

“Oh! I didn’t realize you were done. Yes, I do.” Sisilla smiled lightly.

“Why?”

“Um… well…” How was she to answer this question? It began as a child, her mother always having her pray by her bedside every night. Then, after she got saved, she did it because she wanted to. “Ah… because I want to,” she finally finished, rather sheepishly.

“You want to pray? Why?”

What was with these question? Would she use them to attack her at a later date? “Well, it’s like you and me talking. I talk to God and He talks back.”
    “You can hear God?” queried Adeth, rather shocked.

“Well not actually hear God, per say. But He speaks through His word and He tells me what I need to fix in my life and He encourages me. And He guides me day to day.” Sisilla smiled peacefully at the thought. “No matter what I do, though, He always loves me. Even when I do something that makes everyone else hate me, He is always forgiving.

“Well, we better get to sleep! We have a long day tomorrow. Good night!”

Standing up and blowing out the lamp, the room was plunged into darkness.

••••••••••••

Sometime in the night Sisilla awoke to a noise. She sat up in bed, but heard nothing. She laid back down and closed her eyes. Sniff, hiccup, sniff. Her thoughts spun with possibilities of an intruder. Shaking her head, she listened more closely. Sniff.

“Adeth?” It came from the opposite side of the room. “Is that you? Are you ok?”

“Yes,” came a garbled voice, hoarse from crying. “I’m alright. Did I wake you?”

“Are you crying?”

“Me? No! Why would I be crying?” She sounded like she was trying to be mean, but pain pierced the air between them.

“What’s wrong, Adeth? What happened?”
    “Nothing. I’m alright.”

Sisilla knew it wasn’t nothing. She lumbered out of bed and groped for the lamp. Striking a match, she lit the wick, illuminating the room in soft light. She brought the lamp over and sat on the edge of Adeth’s bed.

“What happened? You are not ok.” Sisilla wasn’t sure how Adeth would respond, or even if she was overstepping her bounds.

“You’ll think of me as a terrible person.” Adeth’s eyes looked empty and black in the flickering light.

“I have no right to say. It is God Who must judge, not me.” She looks so vulnerable right now. Her face was drawn and pale -- not at all what Sisilla expected.

“Anabele. I know her. Her sister worked at our house as a tea maid. My brother, Jefferson, fell in love with her, and she with him. Our father felt that it was alright for the two of them to marry, but… my mother hated the thought of it. So they eloped. Last I heard of him, he was out West, trying his hand at ranching. I always thought he would grow up and become a banker, marry well, and be in high society. But it was because of a servant girl that shattered the dream. My mother, since then, has always taught me to look down upon servants. ‘They are less, we are more, Adeth,’ she’d always say. And until you came along yesterday and yelled at me, I never knew how terrible I had become. And it hurts. I am just what you said: I think that I am better than everyone else. I am a terrible person. But I don’t know what to do about it! I want to change!”

“Adeth, God loves you… I haven’t done a good job showing you that, but He does. He says so in His Word.” Sisilla cracked open the Bible on the nightstand to John 3:16. “Here, read this.”

Adeth hesitantly began to read in the faint gleam. “‘For God… so loved the world… that he gave his… only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him… should not perish, but have… everlasting life.’” Adeth looked at Sisilla. “Everlasting life? So, I’ll never die?”

“Well, this body will die. But you are made up of three parts. Your body,” Sisilla squeezed Adeth’s hand, “Your soul -- this is your emotions and your will, and your spirit. Your spirit will go to either Heaven or Hell, depending on whether how you respond to God’s offer of salvation.”

“What’s salvation?”

“Do you know how Christ died for your sins on the Cross?”

“Yeah. The Easter story.”

“Yes. But it isn’t just a story, Adeth. It’s truth. It is for real! He died so you could live!”

“He died just for me?”

“Just for you.”

“How do I accept salvation?” Adeth’s pleading voice matched her face. She truly wanted to know.

“Are you truly sorry for your sin? Do you really want to make things right?”

“Yes! Yes, I want to! I am sorry! I hate myself!” she cried.

“You see yourself and any good thing you’ve ever done as dirty rags. God is holy and righteous. He is so pure that He cannot look upon your sin. You must repent -- abhor -- your sin, and turn to Christ as your only hope of salvation. You are the only one who can make this decision. You must give your entire life over to Him.”

“I shall!” Adeth sobbed. “I shall! Lord, forgive me!” Her voice broke, tears cascading down her face. “God, I am unrighteous, unholy! Take my life! Take me! Make me new! I want to be Yours!”

God, is this true? Can it be? Oh, Lord, Adeth is now Your child! How can it be, that I, a girl who has only gotten here, has witnessed this great miracle? Oh, my Lord, my God, You are truly an awesome God!

Sisilla’s heart overflowed in praise to her Lord and Saviour. She looked at Adeth, who now faced her, and saw the joy and rapture in her face. How could she help it? She reached over and hugged Adeth tight. Adeth giggled a little and returned the embrace.

“Adeth, can you believe it? We are now sisters in the Lord! You are God’s daughter. And with God being the King of Kings, you and I are both princesses!” Sisilla couldn’t stop her smile from stretching.

“You mean… I am the daughter of… God?” Adeth breathed.

“Yes, Adeth. God has adopted you into His royal family.”

“I don’t think I can sleep!” Adeth rejoiced.

“Well try,” giggled Sisilla. “And if you can’t, read.” She handed the Bible that was in Adeth’s lap back to her. “God will speak in a still, small voice. You must read and listen and pray.”

With that, Sisilla crawled back under her covers, shivering in cold and joy. God, I exalt Your name! You deserve every praise that ushers from my lips. You are the King of Kings!

••••••••••••

The next morning was thrilling. Adeth couldn’t stop talking about her salvation. Sisilla and Adeth studied the Bible together, prayed together, and rejoiced together. From then on, Sisilla knew she had found a friend. This school proved to make her more into a woman of society, and a woman of maturity.

                                                  The End

No comments:

Post a Comment